Types of hosting services
A hosting solution is connected with storing and/or sharing certain web content on a server administered by a hosting vendor. There are various groups of hosting services used for various purposes, so let's take a look at these. In this way, you can pick what you want, on the basis of whether you desire to establish a site, emails, or to share files with pals and partners.
- File hosting: a solution offered by particular vendors, which lets you share immense files. These could be disk images, films, audio files, archived documents, etc. This solution is also known as file storage, and its sole goal is to share files, since it does not support website uploading. The moment the files are uploaded, you will either obtain an accidentally generated download link for each of them, or you will be able to survey a list of all the files in a directory, but you will not be able to view .html or .php web site files in your browser. Free-of-charge file hosting services frequently involve advertisements by the download links, while a timer makes you wait for a specific period of time to observe them. A given file can be downloaded with limited speed. If you possess a paid file hosting plan, there are no limitations as to how many files you can upload/download at once, and also there is no restriction as far as the download speed and the file size are concerned.
Now, with the help of the cPanel hosting suppliers, "file hosting" is being renamed to the more faddish "cloud hosting". This is a totally awry explanation of the actual connotation of "cloud hosting". An actual cloud website hosting platform would distribute the load between independent groups of web servers in a cluster, which are devoted to serving various web hosting services (electronic mail, data storage, statistics, DNS, databases, web site hosting CP, etc.) So, the file hosting solution is just a variety of a storage space hosting service, not a cloud hosting one. It's not even near.
- Image hosting: similar to file hosting; some firms offer a hosting solution for images only. This hosting type is suitable if you want to share a vast number of images with buddies or acquaintances since the service is typically free of charge. You will receive a randomly generated link for every pic or album and you can then share this link. As with the file storage solution, .html and .php files are not supported, so the service cannot be used for web sites.
- E-mail hosting: a solution devoted to taking care of your mail addresses. Some companies provide web hosting services for web sites, but do not provide an e-mail hosting solution. If you desire to possess an email address with your domain name but do not want to keep a web site, then the e-mail hosting solution is what you want. You can set up e-mailbox accounts and manage them, but there will be no hosting service for the domains. The email hosting service involves incoming POP/IMAP and outgoing SMTP mail servers.
- Video hosting: this solution allows you to upload and share videos. You can either share a link to some video, or you can embed the video in your web page that is hosted elsewhere. The benefit of availing of this method instead of uploading the video file in a web hosting account is that the video clip generates a given amount of CPU load, so with a few videos and several hundred visitors, you may have a hard time with your website hosting supplies. Embedding the video will permit you to keep as many videos as you wish without worrying about system quotas.
- Website hosting: this is the service that you require if you would like to have a website. To some degree, it embodies all of the abovementioned hosting types since, along with your web sites, you can also host images and files, you can run databases and mail accounts, upload video files, and so on. At WebHostNinja, for example, you can have a look at web hosting and dedicated web server hosting packages that enable you to have all of the abovementioned services in a single location. There may be restrictions based on the sort of hosting service that you've selected - a free hosting account, a paid shared hosting package, a VPS or a dedicated server. Based on that, your web page hosting account may be better or worse compared with the usual email/file/video/image hosting plans that are made for particular content exclusively.